The best foods to eat after a workout depend on your individual nutritional needs and goals, but in general, a post-workout meal or snack should contain a combination of carbohydrates and protein. Carbohydrates are important because they help to replenish glycogen stores, which are depleted during exercise, while protein helps to repair and rebuild muscle tissue.
Here are a few examples of good post-workout meals or snacks:
- A turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread with a side of fruit.
- A Greek yogurt with berries and a drizzle of honey.
- A protein shake made with a scoop of whey protein powder, a banana, and a cup of milk.
- A hard-boiled egg and an apple.
- A quinoa bowl with grilled chicken, roasted vegetables, and avocado.
It’s important to try to eat within an hour or two of finishing your workout, as this is when your body is most receptive to replenishing glycogen stores and repairing muscle tissue. If you’re unable to eat a meal after your workout, a protein-rich snack can be a good option to hold you over until your next meal.
It’s also worth noting that the body needs hydration too, so make sure you drink enough water during and after your workout to help with the recovery process.